A tool made to admire

The rhinoceros palazzo consists of three buildings. The central, “corner prow”, on the earthen
embankment next to the Arch of Janus is the oldest, as recorded in the views of Rome by Giovanni
Battista Falda in 1676. The two side buildings are depicted in the updated plans of the city of
Giovanni Battista Nolli of 1747 and in the topographical map of the city of Rome of 1813, when the
entire block is already formed. After the unification of Italy, during the period between the end of
the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century, the city experienced extensive
urban redevelopment. It was during this period the upper floors on Via del Velabro were
constructed and the wing on Via dei Cerchi was restructured.